Arai

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Utagawa Hiroshige
1797-1858

Arai

Print, woodblock
Donated by Mrs A.P. Mathewson, 1914
Museum number 1914-178-24

This print is part of the landscape series 'The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido'. During the Edo period the Tokaido Road, which linked the new capital Edo with the old capital Kyoto, was the route of an annual delegation by the shogun government to pay homage to the Emperor and legitimise its rule. Several ukiyo-e artists produced prints of the fifty-three recognised halting places along the Tokaido Road. Several versions were created by Utagawa Hiroshige, this print being from the Kyoka edition, which was produced in the late 1830s.

Arai
Funding Logos