Fithie salver

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Fithie Salver silver communion plate made by Thomas Lyndsay, Dundee, 1665

Museum number 1930-1

The Fithie Salver is one of the most important pieces of silverware in the Museum collection. It was commissioned by John Fithie, a merchant and burgess of Dundee. He presented it to St Mary's Church, Dundee.

Translated, the inscription reads "John Fithie, for the love of the four churches of Dundee and to celebrate the Holy Supper, gave this silver vessel in gift, 1665."

It must have been one of the most ambitious works ever tackled by the maker Thomas Lyndsay. It is made out of a single piece of silver.

Fithie salver
Funding Logos