Fuchu

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Utagawa Hiroshige
1797-1858

Fuchu
Print, woodblock

Donated by Mrs A.P. Mathewson, 1914
Museum number 1914-178-15

This print is part of the landscape series 'The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido'. During the Edo period the Tokaido Road, which linked the new capital Edo with the old capital Kyoto, was the route of an annual delegation by the shogun government to pay homage to the Emperor and legitimise its rule. Several ukiyo-e artists produced prints of the fifty-three recognised halting places along the Tokaido Road. Several versions were created by Utagawa Hiroshige, this print being from the Kyoka edition, which was produced in the late 1830s.

The shukuba post stations offered safety and shelter for those travelling the Tokaido. Originally, the lodgings were kept for use by public officials although later, hatago, lodgings for general travellers were made available. Retail stores and tea houses also provided respite from the journey.

Fuchu
Funding Logos