Futagawa

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Utagawa Hiroshige
1797-1858

Futagawa
Print, woodblock

Donated by Mrs A.P. Mathewson, 1914
Museum number 1914-178-26

This print is part of the landscape series 'The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido'. During the Edo period the Tokaido Road, which linked the new capital Edo with the old capital Kyoto, was the route of an annual delegation by the shogun government to pay homage to the Emperor and legitimise its rule. Several ukiyo-e artists produced prints of the fifty-three recognised halting places along the Tokaido Road. Several versions were created by Utagawa Hiroshige, this print being from the Kyoka edition, which was produced in the late 1830s.

In this picture Hiroshige depicts a sudden downpour over Futagawa. The travellers, trying to cover their heads with anything to hand, run towards the isolated tea house for shelter. The tall oak in the foreground adds to the isolation of the place.

Futagawa
Funding Logos