Keillers Dundee Orange Marmalade Thin Cut

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Marmalade jar

Donated by Mrs Sharkey
Museum number 2003-29-1

Janet Keiller is believed to have invented Dundee 'chip' marmalade. Legend has it her husband bought a cargo of bitter Seville oranges from a ship sheltering from a storm at sea in Dundee Harbour and passed them to his wife who experimented with them and made what was to become the famous Dundee Marmalade.

Between the wars, Keiller's in Dundee made a large range of products, including bakery items. They had eight bakers' shops in Dundee and opened a restaurant in the High Street in 1840. The Forum Shopping Centre is built on the site of their Albert Square works. In 1947 Keiller's opened a second factory in Mains Loan.

The business passed out of family hands in 1899. The final owners, Alma Holdings, went into receivership in 1992 and the Keiller's plant in Mains Loan was sold off.

Keillers Dundee Orange Marmalade Thin Cut
Funding Logos