Lemonade bottle

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Glass bottle

Museum number 1959-558
Donated by Councillor l. D. Johnston

In the 1870s a man named Hiram Codd form Barnsley patented his design for a new glass bottle for aerated water. This became known as the Codd bottle and was characterised by the glass marble in the neck. These bottles were filled upside down forcing the marble into a rubber washer sealing the bottle, preventing leaks and retaining the fizz.
This bottle dates from before 1899 as J. Cronshaw's Brewery in Manchester was taken over and renamed in that year.

Lemonade bottle
Funding Logos