The "Mars" Training Ship Institution in the River Tay for Homeless and Destitute Boys. 1903

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Booklet "The Mars Training Ship Institution in the River Tay for Homeless and Destitute Boys", 1903

Donated by Mrs E. Betsworth
Museum number 1981-725

The Mars was built in the 1840s as a warship. She was later anchored in the Tay and was used as a training ship for delinquent or disadvantaged boys.

The boys received a basic education. The majority were trained for life at sea, although crafts such as shoemaking and tailoring were also taught.

In April 1903 the monthly meeting of the Council of Management of the Dundee Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children decided to send one of the sixteen children who were admitted to their shelter to the Mars.

The "Mars" Training Ship Institution in the River Tay for Homeless and Destitute Boys. 1903
Funding Logos