Miya

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Utagawa Hiroshige
1797-1858

Miya
Print, woodblock

Donated by Mrs A.P. Mathewson, 1914
Museum number 1914-178-32

This print is part of the landscape series 'The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido'. During the Edo period the Tokaido Road, which linked the new capital Edo with the old capital Kyoto, was the route of an annual delegation by the shogun government to pay homage to the Emperor and legitimise its rule. Several ukiyo-e artists produced prints of the fifty-three recognised halting places along the Tokaido Road. Several versions were created by Utagawa Hiroshige, this print being from the Kyoka edition, which was produced in the late 1830s.

The main structure in this print is the torii gate, a symbol of a Shinto shrine. The Atsuta shrine in Miya was one of the famous in all Japan and a popular pilgrimage destination during the Edo period.

Miya
Funding Logos