Pan Caramels

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Pan caramels

Museum number 1984-122

Though most famous for its marmalade, Keiller's also built up a reputation for sweets, chocolates, butterscotch and baked goods. It exported its wares worldwide and won numerous national and international awards and medals.

Keiller's was founded in 1797 by Mrs Janet Keiller and her son, James, as general confectioners. It eventually became one of the most important commercial companies to emerge from Dundee and Keiller's marmalade one of the most famous brand names in the world.

Between the wars, Keiller's in Dundee made a large range of products, including bakery items. They had eight bakers' shops in Dundee and opened a restaurant in the High Street in 1840. The Forum Shopping Centre is built on the site of their Albert Square works. In 1947 Keiller's opened a second factory in Mains Loan.

The business passed out of family hands in 1899. The final owners, Alma Holdings, went into receivership in 1992 and the Keiller's plant in Mains Loan was sold off.

Pan Caramels
Funding Logos