T. S. Mars Swimming Championship Trophy

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

TS Mars Swimming Championship Trophy

Museum number 1980-651

The Mars was built in the 1840s as a warship. She was later anchored in the Tay and was used as a training ship for delinquent or disadvantaged boys.

The boys received a basic education. The majority were trained for life at sea, although crafts such as shoemaking and tailoring were also taught.

All boys on the Mars were taught to swim. An old hulk was moored alongside to serve as a swimming tank. The small shields on the trophy bear the names of the winners. The shield for 1929, the year the Mars was scrapped, is blank

T. S. Mars Swimming Championship Trophy
Funding Logos